Booker T. Washington Theater and Office Addition and Renovation
Under a design-build contract, TMG renovated and expanded the National Monument honoring Booker T. Washington as one of the most influential African Americans at the turn of the 20th Century. Located on the site of Mr. Washington’s birthplace and childhood home, the park hosts over 20,000 visitors annually.
Originally constructed as part of the NPS Mission 66 Project (1956-1966), the facility was in need of upgrades to bring it into compliance with current codes. Concurrently, in an effort to accommodate the large number of visitors and to enhance the Park Service’s educational programs, the building was expanded.
Overall scope of work included the construction of a new 90-seat, 1,370 SF free-standing auditorium with the flexibility to double as an indoor classroom. The existing auditorium and staff office space was modified to house exhibits and a new bookstore, respectively. Additionally, a new library/research space and staff offices were extended in space over the former garage. Building system upgrades included electric, HVAC and Life Safety. Sustainable and energy saving features were incorporated whenever possible into both the renovation and new construction. Finally, all areas were brought up to meet current ADA standards.