Under a large Task Order Contract, TMG performed a design-build project at Colonial National Park, Jamestown, Virginia – the first successful settlement of North America, established in 1607.
Working under stringent archeological requirements, TMG’s construction focused on the Glasshouse interpretive area and in the New Towne site of Jamestown Island, behind the Visitor Center. Work includes reconfiguring the Colonial Parkway at the Glasshouse ranger station, constructing an emergency access drive from just south of the Glasshouse parking lot to the current Glasshouse demonstration and sales area, and replacing historic fencing throughout New Towne on Jamestowne Island.
In addition, TMG replaced approximately 30,000 square feet of exposed aggregate concrete pavement along the Colonial Parkway, a Civilian Conservation Corps project built in the 1930s that also has historic significance. Great care was taken to match the existing road appearance for stone and grout color as well as texture and stone size and spacing. As the roadway remained open during the entire construction period, an extensive phased traffic plan was implemented. Historic fencing was replaced throughout New Towne. Split rail and picket fencing was used to match the historical elements of the site. Also included in this project was bamboo eradication, construction of a gravel access road across an archeologically sensitive area, landscaping, and Ranger Station restoration.